Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pinecone centerpiece

Every time I have a new person added to my christmas list I make them one of these. They are beautiful in the light or in the dark with the christmas lights on.


Materials;

Pinecones-the more variaties the better, make sure to have a lot of the long skinny ones.
Piece of cardboard (at least 8"x 8") I make mine 8" x 16".
Glue gun
Glue sticks
Spray paint
battery operated lights (can use with plug as long as there's a plug near by)
2 taper candles-optional
Ribbon-optional
2-4 decorations of some sort-optional


Cut the cardboard to the size you want. I start with the outside, I use the long skinny pinecones and hot glue them all around the perimiter of the cardboard hanging over quite a bit. Then fill in the bottom where it's empty with more of the long ones just laying down, all the while holding one of the taper candles on one side and the other on the other side in the middle. Hot glue pinecones around these to hold them up as well as hot glue the candle in place after spray painted. Top with all different pinecones hot glued everywhere until it achieves the look you want. Next take out the lights out of the sockets of the string of lights, we will be spray painting it, no need to hot glue the lights in place since it's when they are intertwined they stay put. Next bring the project outside to spray paint. I love silver and use blue ribbon, lights and candles, but whatever color you like is perfect. Let dry. Next put the lights back into the sockets and hot glue the candle if necessary to stay put. Next put the ribbon all around the pinecones, I like tucking mine in as deeply as I can get them. I also tie a bow at the front of the 2 candles or at the back. Next I put decorations on, I found some birds at the dollarama and put 4 little ones just sitting ontop of different pinecones, 2 looking front and 2 looking the opposite direction so you can see it from any direction where you sit at the table. Voila, a beautiful centerpiece. I have given away 10 of these as gifts, even at gift exchanges at work. Each year when names are picked others hope that I get their name so I can make them one as well. They are awesome! Happy crafting!

No comments: